Monday, October 22, 2012

Days 17 & 18 - Sea Days


Ahhh…they’re all sea days now.   It takes a voyage such as this to begin to understand how much water there is on this earth.   My God…how did ancient mariners and explorers stand it???   We know we’ll hit land…literally…six days from now.   They just trusted the stars and a higher being, I guess.

It’s easy to be philosophical out here…there’s not much else to do!   Oh, don’t get me wrong…the ship has lots of activities…bingo, bracelet making, lectures, but the sea keeps drawing me near.  I love to just sit on deck and watch the ocean…it’s gently undulating waves beckoning.   There is a peacefulness here that I don’t believe I’ve found anywhere else.   I thought I’d be bored…instead I find myself entranced!!

We’ve been fortunate…the weather has been great.   Yesterday was a bit more cloudy with a few passing showers, while today has been filled with glorious sunshine all day.  Temps are in the low 70’s with virtually no humidity…and the ocean…it is so calm that I am amazed.  I truly did not expect an ocean crossing to be calmer than a 7-day Caribbean cruise…but there is not a whitecap to be seen and the swells are less than the tide on the west coast of Florida.  I hear that we may be heading into a storm in the next few day…so I will treasure this part of our crossing.

We have met quite a few people on board, but unlike past cruises, we haven’t really connected with anyone or any couple in particular.  I think that may have to do with the great people we have waiting for us back in Florida.  It’s hard to find others who compare with them.  And we miss sharing our cruise with Chris and Kim whom we cruise with often.  I find myself thinking, “Wow…Chris should be here to see this!”, or “What would Kim think about that?”  But Bill and I are enjoying each other’s company and it’s hard to believe that 18 days into this adventure we have only had one small fight.   Ahhh…I guess after 35 years we’re content to just enjoy and not annoy!

So, life is good.   How fortunate are we!

No comments:

Post a Comment